Going for online gold

Regular columnist Bill Thompson is fascinated by everything about the Olympics except the sport.

National Aquatics Centre, Allsport/Getty
Web visitors to the games may put a strain on servers

I won't be going to Beijing for the Olympic Games next month, and in fact I probably won't even be going to London in 2012 when it's our turn to host the festivities.

I don't watch athletics or any of the other events that will be taking place. I don't support a football team either, or have much interest in cricket despite being an English male. Sport just doesn't excite me at all.

But even though I don't care which country wins most gold medals or whether world records are broken for running, jumping or throwing odd-shaped objects, I'll be watching what goes on at the Olympic Games with keen interest, because this world-wide sporting event offers a fascinating perspective on the state of the internet today.

Back in 2000 the Sydney games generated an astonishing amount of traffic to Olympics websites, and in the last four years the number of net users has almost doubled from around 750 million to 1.4 billion.

That is going to place a massive strain on the official Olympics website and the associated infrastructure, and it will be interesting to see how it stands up.

By-BBC NEWS

No comments: